Friday, January 11, 2013

Sleep & Swaddles

Eliza is on a great 3 hour sleep schedule during the day. She wakes up within 10-15 minutes of her "scheduled" wake time every day. I love this! I know how long she likes to play and when she's ready for a nap.  She gives some pretty clear signals that it's time for a nap-- rubbing her eyes accompanied with a little fussiness. I swaddle my sweet girl, give her a paci, turn on the sound machine, rock her for a couple minutes, put her down and she's usually asleep within 5 minutes.

The only complaint I have about Eliza's routine is that the 3 hour schedule seems programmed into her nights. Several weeks ago she was regularly sleeping 6-7 hour stretches at night (and even had 2 full nights of sleep!) but recently she wakes up every 3-4 hours. While we were traveling for the holidays I responded to her cries during the night and fed her but I know that she is big enough to be able to make it through the night (or at least 6-7 hours) without being fed.

So last night I made the decision to let her "cry it out" when she woke during the night. I told myself I would let her cry at least 10 minutes before intervening and that's all it took! She woke around 2 & 5am with some little coos & cries and it only went on for about 5 minutes before she settled herself back down and fell asleep. She woke for the day around 6:45 -- right on track with her normal routine!

Sleepy baby-- just before naptime.

Another thing, Eliza has been swaddled to sleep since her first night at the hospital but a couple of nights ago she started to break out of her Miracle Blanket swaddle. I knew this meant it was time to teach her to sleep without it. During Eliza's naps yesterday I just swaddled on of her arms and put her lovie in the other arm. I was anticipating the naps being short and disruptive with a flailing arm but much to my surprise she went right to sleep and napped her normal length-- go girl! Since the naps went so well I figured I might as well work on lengthening her nighttime sleep and dropping the swaddle at the same time. As mentioned above, the first night went great! I'm hoping the next few go just as well.

In other news, Eliza is getting used to life at the hotel-- she loves relaxing and watching TV with us.

3 comments:

  1. We just did the same thing a few weeks ago. We stopped rocking to sleep at put down for all naps awake (as well as nighttime) and let him settle himself to sleep. The first night he woke up 2-3x, cried 2-10 minutes, but then settled back down by himself. We are about three weeks in and he has been sleeping 7:30/8-7:00 every night! I was a little hesitant to believe CIO would work so quickly, but it did. It also wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. Glad you're getting more sleep, it makes a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your comment on my blog!! I am so behind on blogs it is pathetic. I am sorry! :) I am glad she seems to be doing well without the swaddle. Audrey did pretty awful the first couple of nights, but she got used to it. I wish I had some great miracle advice but I don't, haha. We are now putting her in the sleep sack and she does so well. We had been waking up around 4 or 5 because of her stirring and had to just give her a pacifier but then she would go right back to sleep, but thank goodness she has finally stopped even needing that. I was always the mom that said I would never ever no matter what give a pacifier, funny how that changed very quickly! :) Eliza is too cute, I love her pink sleeper, where did find it?

    ReplyDelete