Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sleep & Bottles

BIG news... Our girl slept through the night last night! I can hardly believe it. I know it's about the "time" that she should start extending her nights (she's 12 weeks old) but I've just adjusted to the once a night feeding so I was shocked when I woke up at 5:30 this morning and had not heard from her!

She actually still sleeps swaddled, this happened to be a morning
where she fell asleep looking at her mobile.
Eliza has really settled in to a great daytime routine -- 

Wake up & Eat -- 6:30 or 7am
Play -- about an hour
Sleep -- 8:30am (naps for 1- 1 1/2 hours in crib)
Eat -- 10am
Play --  1-1 1/2 hours
Sleep -- 11:30am (in crib)
Eat -- 1pm
Play -- 1-1 1/2 hours
Sleep -- 2:30 pm (in crib)
Eat -- 4pm

After the 4 o'clock feeding is where the schedule gets tricky for me. I'm still trying to figure out how to structure our evenings. Eliza used to be super fussy from about 5-7pm so I never knew what to expect but she seems to be growing out of it. I know eventually I want her on at 7pm-7am schedule but she doesn't seem ready for that yet. 

Recently I've been feeding her around 6:30pm, giving her a bath, and putting her down around 7:30. Then I'll wake her up around 9:30 for one last nighttime feed and diaper change. Until last night she has been waking around 2 or 3am for a feeding and then sleeping till 7am when we begin our daily routine. 

I suppose I will just continue with our current nighttime routine for the time being. I don't love waking her up at 9:30 but it doesn't seem to disrupt her nighttime sleep. 

Another thought, I don't want to change too much in her schedule right now (except for her sleeping through the night!) because we are about to spend the next 3 weeks out of her normal environment. I will do my very best to keep as much normalcy in her day as possible. :)

In light of our holiday travels, my husband and I are determined to get Eliza to take a bottle! She took a bottle beautifully when she was 3 weeks old but then we did not give her one for several weeks and our next attempt did NOT go so well! We even had my mom (a NICU nurse) try to give her one and Eliza still refused it. 

After talking with a mom of 5 young children who encountered the same bottle-taking issues, she gave me the idea for a "bottle boot camp" -- choose a day to only give Eliza a bottle. This doesn't sound too hard but after just 5 minutes of a screaming baby refusing to eat you start to get worn down! She suggested choosing a day when both Will and I are around so we could support each other in our decision...

Well, it just so happened that today (when she decides to sleep through the night for the first time!) is our decided bottle boot camp day. I was a little nervous about re-introducing a bottle to her after 9 hours without eating (because obviously I want her to eat!) but I also thought this could be a good time to do it because she is VERY hungry. Will attempted to give the first bottle -- no luck! It was 15 minutes of screaming and refusing to latch on to the bottle. 45 minutes later it was my turn to try...AND she actually took it! She did not fuss at all and took 5 ounces! We are going to continue giving Eliza a bottle all day today in hopes of her becoming more comfortable with it. I'll report back with the results later!

Oh, and another thing...after many unsuccessful attempts with the Medela bottles (although it's what she took at 3 weeks) I decided I wanted to start this bottle boot camp day with a new one. I bought the Tommee Tippee bottle because it's supposed to be "closer to nature" -- most like mom. :) 

Well, so far so good! As much as I love breast feeding our sweet Eliza I'm looking forward to sharing the feeding responsibility and having the option of being away for more than 3 hours. That's understandable, right? :) Oh, how I love this sweet girl so much!!


Yes, it's that cold in Kansas where we wear a hat and mittens inside!

3 comments:

  1. Our schedules could be identical! We are still doing a 9:30/10:00 feed exactly like you. I am scared to get rid of it. He has been sleeping through the night for a few weeks (give or take a rough night every so often) and I just don't want to mess with a good thing, haha.

    Glad she is taking a bottle! Gives you just a little bit of freedom!

    She is a doll by the way! Can't believe how much time has already flown by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're doing great! so glad the bottle boot camp went well. she is a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww what a cute polka dot outfit :)

    ReplyDelete