Monday, October 1, 2012

2 Weeks Old


I can't believe how fast these first 2 weeks have flown by!

Last week was my first week by myself with Eliza -- parents are back in Greenville, Will is back on campus, all other family members are 1,000 miles away... so it was just me and my girl. I'd say we had a pretty successful week together.

Since Will had to catch up on grading and school work, I took Eliza to her doctor's appointment by myself (my first solo outing with her). She was perfect! Although the doctor's office is less than 5 minutes from our house it was still an accomplishment. :) Eliza's doctor said her jaundice was looking much better and that her weight gain was great (for such a little thing).

I went to a breast feeding meeting at the hospital today and found out the she weighs 6 lbs 1 oz and is eating approximately 3.5 ounces each feeding. She hadn't gained as much weight as I thought she would have but I think that's due to her 4 hour stretches at night. The lactation consultant advised me to wake her up after 3 hours for the next week or so (to help her gain weight). I'll miss my longer stretches of sleep but I want to see her put on more weight by next week's doctor appointment.

Eliza continues to be a little angel baby! She has pretty much set herself a schedule-- a 3 hour routine during the day and 4 hours at night. Right now we are loosely following the principles of Baby Wise and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer which organize your baby's day into cycles with 3 parts -- Eating, Wake time and Sleep. Eliza is doing really well with it.

Eliza is a great sleeper at night. She loves to be swaddled, rocked, and put in her crib (with the ocean waves in the background). Her naps during the day aren't quite as consistent. I have found that she really naps best in her crib (being swaddled, rocked, etc.). I have tried naps in her Snugabunny bouncer and bassinet but those are only so-so. I'm thankful she's taken to her crib so well! And when she isn't ready to fall asleep in her crib she just happily lies there.

A little snooze in her bouncer.
Our little angel.
Eliza and her daddy have had lots of sweet times together. They got to spend a lot of quality time together this weekend. I even got to run some errands by myself on Saturday and Sunday while Will kept EB. This is one of my favorites of the two of them. I love how they are both looking at each other! Eliza is one blessed girl to have Will as her father!


On Saturday we took Eliza to her first neighborhood party. It was conveniently at our next-door neighbors house. I kept her in the carrier the whole time so she wasn't being passed around or really even touched. :)


Our little dog, Winston, is slowly adjusting to life with a baby in the house. His main concern, of course, is that he is getting love and affection from his mom and dad. We are doing our best to accommodate those needs. This is his favorite place to hangout when I'm feeding Eliza.


Here are a few photos before we got the "happy" 2 week old.

Not so happy baby...
The pacifier calmed her down
And then her sweet little "O" face.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, I love her so much! She's so precious and oh my goodness, you look great for just having a baby! Fingers crossed I look half as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are very much in love with our little angel. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival. It will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  2. She is so cute! I love her little bitty features! (and from personal experience--not that you even asked--I would not interrupt her 4 hours stretches of sleep at night. I would instead try to cluster feed every 2- 2 1/2 hours leading up to bed time to sneak in an extra feeding, maybe 6pm 8pm 10pm or something. She's up past birthweight at 2 weeks which is usually the goal, so I think you're doing great!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm happy to have thoughts from the momma of 5! She's been doing a little bit of cluster feeding (maybe 2 close together feeds, instead of 3) but I'll try that. I do love that she's sleeping so well at night and don't really want to mess up her sleep schedule. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. We have been experimenting with naps during the day, too. I never know what will work best. I have yet to try the crib for naps...which I probably should. I usually put him in his mamaroo or bassinet, but I have trouble getting him to sleep through a whole nap. He naps best when being held, haha, but I can't keep that up. Maybe I will try the crib tomorrow, just seems so far away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little nervous about putting Eliza in the crib at first but now that I see how much she loves it she does about 90% of her sleeping in it. Do you have a video monitor? I find that having one makes having her in there much easier! Let me know how the crib sleeping goes!

      Delete