Thursday, September 27, 2012

Eliza's Birthday

There was much excitement and anticipation leading up to Eliza's birth. I have wanted to be a mom since the time I was 5 years old and played with baby dolls all day, every day for years (I guess I was practicing for the real thing).

When I reached the 37 week mark in the pregnancy I wondered when  that day would arrive! Of course I wanted her to come when she was ready but I let her know every day that her momma couldn't wait to meet her!

At my 39 week appointment, Thursday September 13, I found out that I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. My doctor had a feeling that Eliza might make an early appearance and arrive sometime in the next few days! I called my parents right after the appointment to tell them to keep an eye on plane tickets because Eliza was probably coming soon!

Friday night Will and I went on our last date night pre-baby. We went to our favorite Thai restaurant in Lawrence and then we watched Father of the Bride Part 2 (when mom and daughter both get pregnant). We had a very low-key weekend with lots of rest and excitement!

Dinner at a friend's house Saturday night.
Well, Sunday night comes around and still no real sign of labor beginning anytime soon. I definitely had several pre-labor symptoms but those were things that could happen anywhere from 1-5 days before going into labor. Since I had not been sleeping well the past few nights Will decided to sleep in the guest room so at least he could get some rest. :)

10:30pm -- I got in bed (not really tired) and spent a little while reading more about labor symptoms-- as though reading about them was going to make it happen sooner? I'm not sure...

11pm -- I started getting a very achy stomach (figured it was just me being excited/nervous) and a few minutes later noticed a very distinct tightening in my stomach-- was this a contraction? :) Since I wasn't convinced anything was really happening I sat in bed feeling this tightening come and go. I started timing them and realized I was having them anywhere from 4-8 minutes apart and lasting around 30-45 seconds. It took me till 1am to decide this might actually be labor (!!) and finally woke Will up. I quietly walked in the guest room to find that he wasn't asleep yet and excitedly told him that I was having contractions. I kinda thought we would spend the next few hours at home waiting for the contractions to intensify but Will was ready for us to get to the hospital (and I was too!).

2:25am -- We checked into the hospital. I was put on monitors to measure contractions and heart rate. I was 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced. (At this point, we aren't sure if we are being admitted for labor or if I'm just being monitored for a few hours.)

3am -- Got sick (felt nauseous). Contractions getting a lot stronger and experiencing most of the pain in my back!

3:10am -- Nurse reports to the doctor on call with my progress and we find out that we aren't leaving the hospital till we have a baby!

3:15am -- Called both sets of parents to let them know we were in the hospital and Eliza was on her way!

3:30am -- IV started (I knew I'd be getting this because I tested positive for Group B Strep) and received two doses of penicillin.

4:17am -- Epidural! Now I can finally relax!

4:50am -- 5 cm dilated and 100% effaced

5:10am -- Nurse treated me to a grape popsicle! It was so good!

6am -- Fever of 100.3

7:50am -- Nurse comes in to check my progress and my water breaks. Eliza's heart rate drops and several nurses come rushing in to hook me up to a new monitor. Eliza's heart rate goes back to normal (around 135).

9:35am -- My temperature is back to normal and I'm 8 cm.

10:45am -- 9.5 cm (so close!!)

11:30am -- 10 cm and nurses get things ready for delivery

Noon -- Began pushing

12:27pm -- Eliza is born!


I had Eliza put on my chest immediately after delivery and it was the sweetest moment of my life. There were so many sweet emotions and love in the room from the moment she took her first breath.

Will and I had the next 2 hours to enjoy the life of our daughter before introducing her to our parents. Both sets of parents made it to Kansas by early afternoon to celebrate the birth of their grand daughter!

1 Day Old
Loves snuggling on her daddy's chest!
Going home outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment