Monday, September 24, 2012

1 Week Old


It's hard to believe that 1 week ago today Eliza Burke Cunningham joined our family! Will and I have had such an incredible week getting to know little EB. We keep saying to each other how full our hearts and lives are with Eliza in it. It is truly an amazing thing how strong our love and connection to her is in such a short time!

We had a very busy week with Miss Eliza. We were in the hospital till Wednesday morning and had a great stay but we were ready to bring our girl into her new home!
First family photo
Taking our girl home!
My parents (who flew in on her birthday) have been with us all week and have helped make our transition into parenthood and life at home very smooth. We are very thankful for their time, work around the house and of course loving on their grand daughter! (More to come on their visit.)

Eliza has been such an "easy" baby this first week and has allowed her momma and daddy to get more sleep than we expected. We have and will continue to keep low expectations around here for the next few weeks. I'm thinking (hoping) Eliza likes a schedule like her momma does because she has been on a 2 1/2 - 3 hour feeding since we were in the hospital.

Loving on her snugabunny!
Breast feeding is going well too. I had great lactation consultants in the hospital who taught me some pointers and have made my learning experience less stressful.

Eliza is definitely a pacifier loving baby! I heard, read, etc. not to introduce them until a month old, but even after getting  a full feeding she was still wanting to suck and the pacifier soothes her so much. I'm being careful not to put it in her mouth every times she cries, whimpers, or goes to sleep but sometimes it's very helpful.

My mom and I took EB on her first stroll (a very short stroll) the day we came home from the hospital. I really felt so good after delivery that I wanted to get some fresh air and stretch my legs. We have taken a few more walks since then too.


On Friday Will and I took Eliza to her first doctor's visit. Eliza was only down 1 ounce from her hospital discharge weight, weighing 5 lbs 12 oz at her doctor's visit. I just love how itty-bitty she is!


Eliza's doctor said everything going on with her sounds and looks very normal. We did find out that she was/is jaundiced a little more than normal. We had a heel stick on Friday and then another one on Saturday and Sunday to see if the bilirubin levels were increasing or leveling off. The level on Sunday was lower than Saturday so we got the GREAT news that no treatment would be needed as long as the levels keep coming down. Bilirubin levels typically peak around days 5-7 so we are prayerful that we are in the clear.

Some of my favorite times with Eliza are the mornings after she has eaten. She is so alert and fun to interact with-- making cute eyes and faces at me. I have also had fun taking Eliza into our room to wake up Will a few mornings this week. She loves sleeping on her daddy's chest (and it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen)! Will has already admitted that Eliza has him wrapped around her finger.


Tiny feet!
It really is amazing how much we have learned about Eliza in these 7 short days! I'm so blessed to be her mother and so happy to embark on the journey of parenthood. Happy 1 Week Miss Eliza!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your first week went well! Glad things are going smoothly! Isn't motherhood the best???

    ReplyDelete