Saturday, August 18, 2012

Self-Consciousness

Over the past couple of weeks I've been reading through Oswald Chambers devotional, My Utmost for His Highest. I really love this devotional and seem to pick it up randomly through out the year. Maybe next year I will begin on January 1 and read it through to December 31? I've yet to do that. Regardless, whenever I read it I read that day's devotion (except today when I read August 18 & 19). The title of tomorrow's devotion caught my attention, Self-Consciousness (probably because I know it's something I struggle with). Below is an excerpt that spoke to me...

"Self-consciousness is the first thing that will upset the completeness of the life in God, and self-consciousness continually produces wrestling. Self-consciousness is not a sin; it may be produced by a nervous temperament or by a sudden dumping into new circumstances. It is never God's will that we should be anything less than absolutely complete in Him. Anything that disturbs rest in Him must be cured at once, and it is not cured by being ignored, but by coming to Jesus Christ. If we come to Him and ask Him to produce Christ-consciousness, He will always do it until we learn to abide in Him."

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment