Sunday, July 29, 2012

Happenings Around Our Home - Part 2

After a fun weekend in South Carolina I was actually ready to get back to our Mid-Western home! Will and I are having such a good time getting our house set-up. I think two "deadlines" that have helped us stay motivated are Will beginning his PhD program mid-August and Eliza's debut mid-September. So after a few days away from the painting, unpacking & organizing we were excited to get back to it.

First on my to-do list was putting the final coat of paint on the built-in book cases in the living room. Will and I joked that this was the most time consuming project that we tackled... or maybe it's that I'm a pokey painter. Either way I was ready to get them finished because then we could unpack more boxes and get settled. Here's a reminder of how they looked when we moved in...


After:

The other side of the room has the built-in desk. 

Before (previous owner's belongings): 

After:

I love how the paint brightens up the room and gives it the southern feel I'm familiar with.

Here's another view of the living room from the kitchen. After having the cabinets removed over the counter (on the left) we had recessed lighting added. This is probably one of my favorite additions so far. 

We had our new appliances installed last week too!


Next on the to-do list was painting Eliza's nursery furniture. I am using hand-me-down pieces that Will and I had been using in our bedroom that were in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint! Since there is so much pink and girly-ness in her room I painted all of the furniture white to match the crib and tone things down a little bit. :) 
Before:
After:

While I was busy painting furniture, Will painted the downstairs bathroom, laundry room, AND upstairs bathroom! (He's making all these around-the-house projects happen MUCH faster than I could imagine!)
Upstairs bathroom Before (previous owner's belongings):

After: 


This bathroom required a little bit of TLC. We replaced the vanity light, painted the walls Silver Sage and painted the cabinets an antique white. I'm very happy with how it turned out!

When Will finished up the painting he spent several afternoons/evenings last week in the yard. He definitely has his work cut out for him but he is off to a great start! 

Before:
It's pretty & green but very forest-like. 
After:
Dry & desert-like... but now Will has a bare yard to work with. :)
Believe it or not, when our next door neighbor came by yesterday he commented on how GREAT the yard already looks! :) He said that our yard had not seen the sun in 30 years! Glad we are making a good impression on our neighbors. 

Besides the obvious (the yard) we just have a few more things to finish on the inside of the house. I really can't believe how quickly things are coming together and that we will be welcoming Eliza into our home in just a few more weeks!!

2 comments:

  1. Christine,

    I am LOVING reading all about little Eliza and your transition to Kansas. I can't wait to read more updates during this exciting time in your life!

    ReplyDelete