Thursday, April 19, 2012

Prenatal Workouts

After a 6 week hiatus from exercising due to first trimester morning sickness I was eager to get back into a  workout routine! Prior to finding out that I was pregnant I was training for the Rock n' Roll Nashville half marathon with my good friend Jamie. I had hopes of doing it even though I was pregnant (my doctor said it would be fine) but I quickly realized that running while pregnant is not for me. I wish it was but I have to listen to my body. Although I miss running in this beautiful springtime weather I've found some alternate forms of exercise that I'll share.

First of all, I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio activity 6 days a week. This might be something as low-intensity as taking our little shih-tzu, Winston, on a 30 minute walk or playing a very friendly game of tennis with my husband. When I opt for the gym I use the stationary bike, elliptical, or rowing machine (I don't trust myself on a treadmill on right now). I have cut back on the time and intensity that I used to spend on these machines as I'm just trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy. From everything I've read regarding exercise during pregnancy it is very good for momma and the baby! Below are some fun facts I've learned from a Mayo Clinic article .

Why exercise during pregnancy?
-Ease or prevent back pain and other discomforts
-Boost your energy level
-Prevent excess weight gain
-Reduce the risk of gestational diabetes, pregnancy-related high blood pressure and postpartum depression
-Increase stamina and muscle strength, which helps you prepare for labor.

I'm usually not much of a workout video user but I recently purchased two pregnancy specific workout DVD's from Amazon to try. :) (My husband has already gotten plenty of laughs from this!)

                                     Summer Sanders' Prenatal Workout10 Minute Solution: Prenatal Pilates

The first is a cardio and toning workout that breaks up the exercises into trimesters. I just got it last week so I've been doing the 2nd trimester workout and have really enjoyed it! I think this will be especially nice to have for motivation when I'm in the 3rd trimester. I decided to buy a pilates workout too because I've heard how good muscle strength and flexibility is during pregnancy. It's also nice that each segment is only 10 minutes so I can do it with something else or as an express workout.

So far, I'm loving the energy that comes with the 2nd trimester and incorporating exercise into my daily routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment