Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring/Summer Reading List


I enjoy reading and I love to be as prepared as possible when I embark on new adventures. I'd say that pregnancy and, especially, motherhood are high on that list! The books pictured above are ones that I have picked up on my own or come highly recommended from mothers I respect.

What To Expect When You're Expecting -  This book is a classic in the pregnancy world and the cover of the book states that it is the #1 bestselling pregnancy book. Most of the information in this book can be found on the countless pregnancy websites but I like having the week-by-week growth in one convenient reference book.

The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy - I bought this as a fun, light-hearted read. It is written by a mother of four who compiled experiences, concerns, complaints and remedies offered to her by girlfriends along the way. It's a cute book for a first time mom and would make a great gift.

The Mission of Motherhood - I just started reading this book and absolutely love it! My sister-in-law recommended this book to me when I asked for a book on the biblical perspective of  motherhood. I know it's a book I connect with when I have several paragraphs highlighted from the 3 page Introduction. One that I particularly liked read, "And the fundamental mission of motherhood now is the same as it always was: to nurture, protect, and instruct children, to create a home environment that enables them to learn and grow, to help them develop a heart for God and his purposes, and to send them out into the world prepared to live both fully and meaningfully. It's up to us to embrace that mission as our own, trusting God to walk us through the details and to use our willing mothers' hands as instruments of his blessings." I'm looking forward to all that I have to learn through the pages of this book.

The Jesus Storybook Bible - I have wanted this book since I first learned about it several years ago but never purchased it till now. I've heard very good things about this particular children's bible. It speaks very highly to me that in the author's acknowledgements she credits Dr. Timothy Keller's teaching for informing every story and for his wisdom. I plan on reading this book aloud to Baby Cunningham while he/she is in utero. (Did you know that's recommended?)

Give Them Grace - Another recommened book that I look forward to reading. I think my first reading of it will be more for perspective than practical advice but I can see this as a book I go back to time and time again. A caption on the back of the book reads, "All of us want to raise good kids. And we want to be good parents. But what exactly do we mean by "good?" And is "being good" really the point?"

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer - I'm going to wait a few more months before I tackle this book. I think this will probably be one of several books I read on newborns but it came highly recommended from my sister-in-law so I think I'll start with this one.

So these are a few things I'll be reading over the next couple of months! I'd love to hear recommendations and learn what other books have been helpful to some experienced mommas.

5 comments:

  1. You will have lots of great reading ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would have a stack of books to read... all at once!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great list! We read the Jesus Storybook Bible with Gray but I think he's more interested in pulling the pages at this point :) My favorite sleep/baby knowledge book is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's been a lifesaver for us! Hope your eye is on the mend and that no one is giving Will mean looks in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm reading the mission of motherhood with a friend right now and we love it!! also, we did the book "baby wise" loosely with Maggie and it worked great for her sleep habits and schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I plan on reading Baby Wise too! I love a schedule so I definitely think it will be a good one to read. I hope y'all are doing well!

    ReplyDelete